Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Review: Where the Stars Still Shine


Summary:
Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.

Review:
I don't think there is a more perfect gif to explain my thoughts about this book. You never get a better feeling than picking up a book and have it meet every single one of your expectations. Nothing is more fulfilling that that feeling. When I finished it I immediately thought, "pero...why is it over?

Let me just start off by saying that Trish Doller is a genius when she writes about teens. This is a story about betrayal with the right amount of a love mixed in. Ugh this book is shear perfection. I had the privilege of going on a trip with my friend to Tarpon Springs and every time I would read about those stores and scenery I could imagine myself being right there. On a more important notion, I love love love the concept behind this book. Callie was taken from her family and forced to live in constant fear but then she is thrown back into the life she once was a part of. 


I liked how the story starts and gives us an idea of what Callie's life was with her mom. It made me understand why Callie couldn't really get close to guys. I remember texting my friend saying that she doesn't know any better. That is what she grew up seeing and believed it was the only best way of handling the situation.

The best part of the book is her relationship with Alex. At first I thought "oh great another bad choice" but Alex started warming up on me. He was the one that pulled her back to reality. It was nice how Trish Doller portrayed both of their struggles. Don't get me wrong I love reading perfect love stories but what made me appreciate this one a little more is that no relationship is perfect. The obstacles that they both went through allowed them grow as characters. 


Alysha I thank  you for recommending this book to me. This books is honest, and it will slap you with all the feels but I love it. I would even dare to say that it is my favorite book. Only a few can compare to it. 

2 comments:

  1. Gahhhhhhhh! Until you said the thing about Alex, I didn't remember I felt the same way. I was like sigh. But then Alex is Alex and the most perfect Alex and it's just so freaking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh this book is perfect. We need to go on another trip to TS again

    ReplyDelete