Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Review: Anna and the French Kiss

Summary:
     Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming,beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend. 

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

Review:
     Okay I might be the only idiot who read Lola and the Boy Next Door before I read this book. I was just so excited to start reading again (and actually having the time to do so) I really didn't look into it before I just picked it up and started reading. I blame my friend Alysha for that one ;) Jk I love her and she knows that. No wonder we have been friends for like a billion years now.               




We all like to think that we know a thing or two about falling in love. But it was refreshing to see a different outlook on young love. The humor, the setting, the tone in this book was ideal. But besides the point that it is a story about falling in love I feel that this book was more about Anna finding herself and testing the waters in regards to what she likes.  College was a scary place at first but after a couple of semesters and a few good friends you find yourself trying new things.

Perkins does a good job writing the dialogue between her characters. Its not forced or fake. It stays true to the younger generation and it was easy to read (for us old farts) and relate to. All in all, this book was funny, sweet and you dive head first into Perkin's sense of charm . Come on, what girl doesn't want to go to Paris and live out her dreams?
This book along with Lola and the Boy Next Door were my very first YA contemporary books that I read. And it made me question why I never read from this genre before. I must admit, I tried staying away from the corny love stories but I was glad I picked up this book and read it. It was cute in all the right ways. I am definitely not against reading YA contemporary books now that's for sure. 

3 comments:

  1. The swoon in this book is real. I went to Paris looking for my own Etienne...& I'm still single. The struggle. Real life boys will never be as good as book boys, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ain't that the truth. That's why fictional boys >>>real life boys

    ReplyDelete