Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Summary:
          Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


Review:
             Before this book I hardly read cute romance stories. Now I am a huge sucker for them. Don't get me wrong, most books these days focus on the romance part of the story that the ideal story is lost behind it all. I am glad that this one was different. I am not here to bash on a book or tell you how awful it is or give you a whole review on how it was perfect. I write honest reviews of what I liked about the book and how I could relate it to my own experiences.


             This book was a very easy read for me.  It isn't just a love story, it is a story about growing up and having to make hard decisions. We all have that moment in life where we are forced to do something that could ultimately change our lives for the good or the bad.  What made me love this book is that yes, it is cute and romantic but it puts into perspective that growing up isn't just some fairy tale. 
             Stephanie Perkins takes the time to develop her characters. She gives you their back story and guides you through their journey. She knows how to write about boys. We often read about Prince Charming and how he just comes and sweeps you off your feet. But we don't  really get a chance to read about boys who have to live in their twin sisters shadow and struggle with expressing themselves. I too lived in my sisters shadow and I hated it. It was nice to relate to a book and see yourself in the little things that make the book what it is.
              I adored this book and although it is cute and gushy and it has a lot of feels, its enjoyable. If you don't' believe me then read it for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment